Canada Fast Facts
- About 40,000 immigrant students come into the Canadian public school system every year, due to Canada’s high rates of immigration per capita.
- A quarter of the students in Ontario were born outside Canada, and 80% of them are non-English speaking.
- The large province of Ontario accounts for 40% of Canada’s population; its two million students are funneled into about 5,000 schools.
- Between 2003 and 2010, Ontario’s high school graduation rate rose from 68% to 79%. The provincial government’s goal is to reach an 85% graduation rate.
- Every school in Ontario staffs a full-time “student success teacher,” who devotes his or her time to the students who need it most.
- Despite coming into the country with challenges, immigrant children are typically performing as well as Canadian-born children on the PISA assessment just a few years after their arrival.
Archiviato in EdChat, English